Thursday, August 21, 2014

"A Treasury of Wit and Wisdom" from Reader's Digest | Book Review


In our day and age, more and more people shy away from reading. But in order to have wit and wisdom, that which are necessary for life, we can not solely rely upon videos and sound, we must train ourselves to read.  Of course, for it to be worthwhile, it has to be a meaningful book.  I totally recommend a quotation book.  Easy, short quotes are memorable... they make an impression.  Here's an example...

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes,
Art is knowing which ones to keep."
~ Scott Adams

"When inspiration does not come to me, I go halfway to meet it."
~ Sigmund Freud

"Creativity comes from trust.
Trust your instincts.  And never hope for more than you work."
~ Rita Mae Brown


"A woman is like a tea-bag.  
You never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water."
                                                                                                          ~ Eleanor Roosevelt



You've probably noticed it in many of my posts, I try to insert some relevant quotes (hopefully) here and there.  I just love them.  Well, they are short, witty, easy to remember... and yup, let's face it... they're true.  "Quotable Quotes" is my favorite part of a popular magazine called Reader's Digest.  Have you heard of it before?  My grandfather and mother were fans of this magazine ever since I was young.  "Knowledge is power." My grandfather often declares with pride.  He said that one can disappear in the crowd very quickly with anything else such as beauty... but skills and knowledge attracts attention even when you do not ask for it.  They both encouraged reading. At age 7, I was a fluent reader in English (my second language.)

For wisdom is a protection just as money is a protection, 
but the advantage of knowledge is this: 
Wisdom preserves the life of its owner.
~ The Bible, Ecclesiastes 7:12

Then many years ago, my grandfather gave me a special visit.  He had a book on hand... It was big and thick!  The span of my pointy finger and thumb.  "Oh, Lolo!"  I exclaimed. (...university? many books? He could probably read my expressions.) Before I could say anything else, he gave a weak, endearing smile and said, "Don't worry granddaughter, it's not difficult to read."  Indeed, it was a book of quotations.  I couldn't make sense of many things in it.  Later on in life, I am surprised at how many things were impressed in my young mind... they came pretty handy, I tell yah!


So then, a few days ago, I came across this book "Treasury of Wit of Wisdom"  published by Reader's Digest.  I did not think anything of it until I opened it up and immediately saw quotes after quotes after quotes.  I had to sit and read.  Some of them were funny, some serious... some sentimental.  The latter part reminded me so much of Lolo and Mama... I couldn't stop reading! Not only are the words entertaining, yup, often humorous... these are quotes from people who had lived them.  I am an firm believer of learning, from experiencing things yourself, yes... But there is so much more we can learn from the experiences of others.  Learning that way helps us skip the bitter parts of growing pains...

In this day and age where more and more people lead busy lives, many tend to forgo reading. Much success is achieved though in learning... and learning comes from reading.  This book is an easy read and truly insightful.  It can be a good start to get back into reading.  I totally recommend it.  Remember: "Knowledge is power."


"And that's the way it is." ;)
~Walter Cronkite

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I've always loved reading and I learned a great deal through it. I have lived different lives and experiences through it. I have traveled the world and beyond through books. Yes, reading is really a wonderful journey! And I also love to collect quotes, many of them from the timeless classics.

    Thanks again for this wonderful post. A joy to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said... and same here ate Chars... That's the way I travel the world today, until the new world when we can travel it for real... :-) I am glad that you liked this post.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Hun! :-)
      Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment as well...

      Delete

Thank you very much for leaving me a message.
"Like apples of gold in silver carvings, is a word spoken at the right time." ~ Proverbs 25:11.