FINGERPAINTS Gel Nail Polish
and LED Lamp Review
sold at Sally's Beauty Supply
This is my first experience when it comes to gel polish. I have heard many things about gel polish, not only wonderful things about it but also regrets. Add the salon price in the equation and there I run away saying, "I'll go home and do my own nails with regular polishes."
Then why now? Well, my ever wonderful mother, and sister-in-law gave me this lovely set as a gift! (There's my Disclaimer, winkie, winkie ;) Having my own set and being able to do it at home made all the difference in the world. Yes, I got to try gel nail polish finally. And how do I feel about it? Let's get down to business, mohohaha...
This kind of gel polish applies like regular polish. Yay! That makes it super easy. And with the Konad Stamping Set, it became even more enjoyable. But you will need the LED lamp in order to cure/dry it. UV Lamps work too. Here's a brief list of pros and cons I enjoyed or encountered with my first experience with gel polish, specifically, the Fingerpaints brand sold exclusively at Sally's.
|Here are some of the designs I did with my girlfriends using FingerPaints |
gel polish and Konad Stamping Nailart set.
1. Since it applies like regular polish, it is super easy to use.
2. It does last for a long time without chipping! So you can enjoy your hard-worked nailart longer.
The gel is very durable. (Super-PRO) My only thing was, my nail growth was very visible, a blank space between my polish and my cuticles which is in my opinion very unsightly. (hmm isn't that a con? winks... that could only be avoided if the nail does not grow... so it's not a con, lol)
3. Cheaper than most gel polishes in the market.
4. I can't get over how there's no more waiting for it to dry! Zero dry time. No smudges and chips! (You do need to cure each layer with the LED lamp for 30 seconds, but that's it. A total of 8 minutes to cure all fingers! You can instantly enjoy your nails or work with your hands. How do you like that compared to almost an hour dry time with regular polish?)
5. If you have dry nails, the gel polish really stays put beautifully. (If you have oily nails like those of little girls, the gel polish will peel off prematurely. But that's ok, just do it again with a different color and design, hahaha)
1. If you have oily (healthy nails) the gel polish does not stick very well. You may be able to just peel it off after a few days. (Some would consider that as an advantage given the next con :)
2. It is a royal pain to remove it. The very advantage you have of being able to wear your gel manicure for 2 weeks is your very own nemesis during removal. It is recommended to soak your nails in Acetone for 15 minutes or more to remove the gel "without damage." So get your favorite show on TV since this will force you to relax (PRO)
3. Following the removal instructions will preserve your nails. The Acetone is harsh and it can leave your nails dry and brittle. So you need to give your nails a break from gel polish now and then to recover. Apply plenty of moisturizers or the cuticle oil that came with the set. And drink lots of water to keep your nails flexible and healthy.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the gel polish. I did my laundry, dishes, cleaned the house, cleaned my yard... just to test its durability.... and woa!!! The nails are in perfect shape! I look forward to using it when going on vacations or when I foresee a very very busy 2 weeks ahead. I would totally wear it on a very special weekend when you want to have fancy nails and don't want to worry about its upkeep. To enjoy such would be worth the trouble of removing it after :) Wohooo!
|I removed my gel polish after 1 week out.|
Yes it was early, I just wanted to try out the process of removal.
My nails were in good shape even after soaking in Acetone for
15 minutes. See how shiny it is here? Buffed it good and applied cuticle oil.
Make sure you apply the polish only on the nail bed and nothing on the skin. If there are any booboos, cleanse first before curing. Excess polish cured on the skin or cuticles will cause lifting and peeling.
All the designs you see here I did with my girlfriends with this same set. Some of them just peeled off the gel polish after 10 days without damage :) Cool huh?
If you have any questions or suggestions, kindly leave me a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Ciao bellas!
To watch my haul please follow this link:
Disclaimer: The products discussed in this article are private purchases and not company-gratuities.